Home

Why can't i add files to my external hard drive mac

The drive is formatted NTFS which OS X can read from but not write to without using third-party software like NTFS for Mac. Otherwise, you need to reformat the drive to FAT32 (MSDOS) for use on both platforms or Mac OS Extended, Journaled for use only on the Mac. Then use third-party software for Windows like MacDrive Mac OS X do not support writing files into NTFS filesystems by default and you cannot copy files to external hard drive from mac. But Mac do support reading the NTFS drives and copying files from NTFS HDDs. Most of the Mac users don't know this and will buy portable external hard disks to expand the storage space Make sure your Mac is connected to the external storage device (for example, using a USB cable or over a network). Click the Finder icon in the Dock to open a Finder window, then do one of the following to move your files.. Move files to the storage device: Select one or more files on the desktop or in a folder, then drag them to the storage device, listed below Locations in the Finder sidebar WARNING!!! Formatting means the same as deleting or erasing! Also I am not responsible if anything goes wrong so do at your own risk! If you cannot transfer.

My Mac Won't Let Me Write on an External Hard Drive. There are several reasons why a Macintosh may not be able to write to an external hard drive. Some troubleshooting will help you determine the. If your ext drive is using Microsoft's NTFS, there's your problem. Back up your files in it, then use Disk Utility to erase and format your drive with the Mac OS Extended Journaled file system. Note that if you use this drive in a Windows machine, you'll have problems with recognition of the new format system. Was this answer helpful Navigate to your Mac Disk Utility. Select the volume in the left pane where you need to repair permissions. Click on the First Aid tab. Choose the volume where the external drive should get mounted, then click the option to Repair Disk Permissions

Similarly, Macs can use different file formats that are not recognized by Windows, although some formats are universal, like.jpg. Converting the files on your drive is possible, but it certainly won't be easy. In addition, a backup program designed for the Mac is generally not able to restore to a Windows PC 1. Shot in the dark - try running Disk Utilities and repair the permissions. 2. Click once on the drive, go under File to get info and see if you have Write permission The best way to look for an incorrectly formatted drive is to go to. Apple (in the top toolbar menu) > About This Mac > Storage. See if the external drive shows up here. For more information, go to the same menu option, then select System Report. Mac not formatted to display external drives on the desktop

I recently switched from PC to Mac and I have an external HD that I used to back up all my files when I was using a PC. Today I was going through my files and I tried deleting everything that I didn't need or want any more. The HD would not let me delete anything. The permissions says read only and it will not let me change it Right click the Start button to open Disk Management, look for the device in the drive map by scrolling down to find it by size. If no drive letter, right click on the drive to issue one so it shows up in File Explorer. Recent Windows Updates are causing device problems in Windows 10, including USB flash and external drives Connect the external hard drive to your Mac using a USB cable and wait until the hard drive successfully connected to your computer. (Name of the drive should appear on your Mac screen). Step 2 : Open Finder, then locate the files to move to the external hard drive I Can't Edit External Hard Drives on Macs. To expand the storage capacity of your Mac, you can connect one or more external drives, including solid-state or traditional moving-platter mechanisms as well as flash-memory-based thumb drives. Regardless of the physical size, capacity and medium your external drive.

Can't put files onto Toshiba external har - Apple Communit

That said, our guide splits the external drive in half: One primary section capable of storing files larger than 4GB, and a secondary section capable of sharing files between MacOS and Windows 10 How to Fix on Android File Transfer Not Working on Mac. Part I: Why isn't my external hard drive showing up mac. You might be panicking right now because your external hard drive cannot be recognized by your Mac device. But you really don't have to go crazy. Most likely, nothing has happened to your files within the external Hard drive 9. Your Toshiba Drive Shows On Desktop But You Can't Add Files. Your Toshiba drive seems blocked. Your Toshiba external hard drive won't let you add any files. Your drive seems read only and your Mac is refusing to move files to your drive. This is why. All Toshiba Canvio's ship with something called NTFS

[SOLVED] Cannot copy files to external hard drive from Ma

1. How to Backup a Mac to an External Hard Drive in 2021. Backing up your Mac on a regular basis is one of the best things you can do. Through the use of Time Machine and an external hard drive, we.
  2. Method 2. Show Hidden Files in Hard Drive or External Hard Drive. To protect some confidential files, people tend to hide them from showing up on a storage device. If you did so or accidentally hide them in your drive, you would encounter the hard drive not showing files though they still exist issue. So the best way out is to unhide them
  3. 1. Plug the hard drive into the Mac using the cable that came with it. Most hard drives connect via USB, so you'll just need to plug the USB cable into an open port on your Mac. You'll typically find at least one USB port along each side of the Mac. Some Mac-specific drives may come with a Thunderbolt or FireWire cable instead
  4. Part 1: How to Boot Mac from USB Drive/CD/DVD. Actually, it is possible to boot Mac from external drive or a hard drive, but there are a few specific requirements needed for your Mac to become eligible for that process. First, you have to have an Intel-Based Mac
  5. 1. Connect an external hard drive to the computer using the USB cable and wait for the icon for that drive to appear on the Desktop. 2. Click Finder on the Desktop to launch a new Finder window, and then locate the files to transfer to the external hard drive

Use external storage devices with Mac - Apple Suppor

Cant Transfer File from Mac to External Hard drive? Drive

My Mac Won't Let Me Write on an External Hard Drive

1. istrator's password.; Attach the removable storage device to your Mac. Start Disk Drill and select the external hard drive from the list of discovered devices.; Click the Recover button and allow Disk Drill to scan your external drive for files that can be recovered.You will be presented with a list of the files that the tool can restore
  2. Warning: This operation will delete all data on the external hard drive and you can back up necessary files in advance.. 1. Install and launch it. Then, right click the partition on the external hard drive and select Format Partition. 2. In the next dialogue, you can choose format external hard drive to exFAT, NTFS, FAT32, or, based on specific demand
  3. You can fix the issue that external hard drive freezes when copying files with three methods offered in this article. To copy files more efficiently, you should try AOMEI Backupper. Other than copying files between computers and external hard drives, you can use AOMEI Backupper to restore system in case of Dell boot loop in Windows 10

Steps to restore undetected ExFAT drive on Mac: Get Mac Data Recovery on your Macintosh system. Attach undetected ExFAT drive. Go for Volumes Recovery selection on main screen. Select ExFAT drive and its all shown volumes from list. Choose Normal Scan and click on Mark All key. All files present on your ExFAT drive will be listed in two views Hi, that happens because Macs cannot edit hard drives formatted on NTFS (Windows Format), to use it on your Mac and windows at the same time you can format it on FAT32 (has a 4GB limitation per file) or exFat. (compatible from Mac OS 10.6.4 forward, but no 4GB limitation per file), formatting the hard drive will delete all of your files, so do. Step #1: Open Device Manager and double click on the affected external hard drive. Step #2: Find the Policies tab and check Better performance and Enable write caching on this device. Step #3: Click OK to save changes. Step #4: Back in the Device Manager, right-click on the Intel USB 3.0 extension driver and select. Mac's inbuilt hard drive can't cater all the data storage requirements, and hence an external hard disk drive is required to store the files and lessen the burden on the internal Mac hard drive. Moving the data from the Mac hard drive to an external media assures the OS X gains plenty of free spaces for smoother operations The Mac versus PC debate isn't going to be settled anytime soon but there's no denying that Windows computers are more widespread. For this reason, many manufacturers of external hard drives.

SOLVED: Why can't I add files to my Toshiba external hard

Therefore, I decided to transfer some files to my external hard drive to get more free space on my SanDisk HDD. At first, the file copy process went smoothly. But I was prompted by the message that the file is too large for the destination file system when I try to copy the 4.32 GB film to the external hard drive To create a new partition, click the drive in the list on the left side of the Disk Utility menu. Click the Partition button in Disk Utility's main window. By default, Mac OS X will use the GUID. Check the file system of the drive. Open File Explorer. Right-click the drive and choose Properties. On the General tab, next to File system, see if it says NTFS. If the file system is FAT or FAT32, refer to the next section. Otherwise, proceed to Unlink OneDrive and run OneDrive setup again When I plug my WD passport into my computer (or any computer) it isn't coming up. I can find it, but I can't open it and view the files. It does the same thing on a Windows or a Mac. However, if I plug it into the TV, it recognizes some or most of the files, so I know they're still there. Is it a driver problem

複線ポイントレール④: SketchUpでプラレール

4. Repair external hard drive by using Disk Utility. When your Mac is not recognizing the external hard drive, use Disk Utility to mount and repair the unrecognized external drive. Steps are as follows: Go to Finder > Applications > Utilities.Double-click Disk Utility to launch it.; If Disk Utility lists the external hard drive in gray, then select your external hard drive from the sidebar Your Western Digital My Passport drive uses an external hard drive standard called USB 3.0. You don't need to understand the ins and outs of this standard. It's enough to know that the different USB standards define the speed the drive works at. And the plugs used to connect the hard drive to your Mac or your Windows PC Fixed: Unable to Delete Files from External Hard Drive. It must be troublesome that you cannot delete files from the external hard drive in Windows 10, especially at the time you need to release disk space.When you are stuck with this annoying situation, you can firstly attempt to restart your computer and scan your system for malware Step 2: Select the external hard drive from the left sidebar and click the Erase tab on the top toolbar. Step 3: On the pop-up dialog box, give the drive a name, choose a format (APFS, Mac OS Extended Journaled, or exFAT is okay. But we would recommend you to select exFAT, which can be used on both Mac and Windows). Step 4: Click Erase to confirm the process

Open the Files app on your iPhone or iPad and tap Locations to see your external drive. If you don't see a Locations button, keep tapping Browse at the bottom-right of the screen to go back. From the Locations page, you should see your external drive listed alongside other storage options For many years I have worked between Mac computers at home and at the office using an external hard drive to sync my files, however I would like to change to a Dropbox folder instead, for convenience and security reasons. I would like to know if I can automatically sync a copy of my dropbox files. Hi! I'm working on a school project, and all the files are in an external drive, about 300GB (I'm a mac user). I registered to Dropbox, moved the dropbox folder to my external drive, and moved all the files into the Dropbox folder. Syncing and things how Dropbox work seemed bit weird... so I searche.. Here are the best hard drives for Mac. By Cliff Joseph, Contributor | 17 May 21. 1 LaCie Mobile Drive. 4 LaCie 1big Dock. 2 Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Touch. 5 G-Tech G-Drive USB-C. 3 WD My. The following dialog appears: To add a second partition for data storage, click on the + icon below the circle that represents the total storage available on the drive. Now sadly, this test drive doesn't have a lot of space available, so we'll just make a 150GB (.15TB) partition to put files into

Yes, you can do it but you have to uninstall and reinstall the game. Go to Origin advanced settings, on Installation Path select the new path you want The Sims 4 to be installed. Reinstall the game again, it'll reinstall on the new path. Please note that external hard drives are slower, so you can face some performance issues with the game. If you want to back this up, you plug in your external hard drive and drag the whole file over to that hard drive in the sidebar of Finder. The harder part comes when you need to change which Photos library you want to use. You'll have to change the location from which the Photos app is reading. In the image below, I've got two Photos. Finally, if your drive is online and formatted, but doesn't show a drive letter next to its name, right-click the volume and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths to add a drive letter. If you're.

External Hard Drive Is Not Showing Up on Mac [7 Solutions

Answer: If your external hard drive icon is not appearing on your desktop you can easily retrieve via the Finder Preferences. Click on your desktop or the Finder icon in your dock to bring the Finder to the front of your screen. Go to Finder > Preferences (Command + ,) in the menu bar and select the General tab. There will be a list of items. Step 1: Connect your external hard drive to your Mac . Firstly, you need to connect the hard drive to your Mac and ensure it shows up in the finder's sidebar. To confirm that the hard drive is working, try to copy a file or anything from your Mac to it, and if does copies, then the hard drive is formatted to use with a Mac. If the hard drive. The external hard drive works fine on every other device. When I first plugged it in, it worked. There's a small blue light that appears on the hard drive when the lap top regocnizes it. At first it worked in every USB port, then it worked in just 1 of the 4 usb ports and now it doesn't work at all

Can't access mac hard drive on windows 10 - Microsoft

1. When you connect an external hard drive on Mac, it will show up on Desktop, Finder, and Disk Utility. But sometimes the external drive won't appear on any of these places. Consequently, data inside the unmounted external hard drive turns inaccessible. The contained files and the external drive's integrity comes to a stake
  2. My guess is that it's formatted as NTFS (a windows-only partition format that mac can't write to). If you don't have anything in the hard drive, open up disk utility (Macintosh HD --> Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility) and then erase the hard drive and format as one of the two options
  3. First, connect the drive by USB. Locate your external hard drive. External hard drives can be accessed from several places on a Mac: A hard drive desktop icon Double-click the USB hard drive icon to open up a Finder window and browse its contents. Under Devices in the Finder Sidebar Click Finder > Devices to see a small icon of the external.
  4. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sharing. From the list of services on the left, select File Sharing. From the Shared Folders list on the right, click the add button (+), then choose a folder to use for Time Machine backups. Control-click the folder that you added, then choose Advanced Options from the shortcuts menu that appears
  5. You can use Carbonite to back up files on a Mac external hard drive from the Carbonite application. If you have a Safe Plus plan or above, you can select external hard drives for backup the same way as files and folders. Click the Carbonite icon from the menu bar and select Open Carbonite . From the My Drives section, select the external hard.
  6. Normally when you plug in an external hard drive to your Mac's USB port you will see it appear on the desktop (aka mount on the desktop). You can also see it in the Finder in the left column under.

Suddenly I can't save files on my external hard drive anymore

1. If your external hard drive goes kablooey and your internal hard drive lacks a user folder, you won't be able to boot that drive into a fully functioning account. With that extra account, you can
  2. I have restarted steam many times, unplugged and plugged back in my external hard drive many times, but it still wont recognize that I have the game installed. I can install games onto the external hard drive, but can't play games that all already on it
  3. Most Mac users will be better off formatting external drives with exFAT, ensuring they work well on both Windows and Mac OS X without any extra work. if you must write to an NTFS drive, one of the paid, third-party drivers will be the easiest option with the best performance and least risk of file corruption

External hard drive not showing up on Mac? Here's what to d

1. Hello, Check whether files are not in hidden mode. Click on Start --> In search box, type cmd and press Enter. Command prompt will be opened. Here I assume your External hard drive letter as G: Enter this command. attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*. You can copy the above command --> Right-click in the Command Prompt and paste it
  2. 1: Install SFWare hard drive recovery software on your computer. Connect the external hard drive and launch the tool. 1: Click on Recover Drive/Partitions option present on the main screen.Select Drive/Partition Recovery on the next screen. 2: Select portable drive from the shown list and hit Next button. 3: After quick scan, you will see a list of recovered files in Data View or File Type View
  3. Sometimes your computer can't access any data on your mass storage device such as USB or External Hard drive, because your USB or external hard drive mass storage is corrupted. Try to do this way when it happens on your Windows operating system. 01. Go to My computer > Select your USB drive. 02
  4. Using a third-party disk utility that allows you to see Macintosh formatted volumes is an alternative to using FAT32 file system for the external hard drive. MacOS to MacOS: Some Seagate external drives, such as the FreeAgent Go for Mac and FreeAgent Desk for Mac, come formatted in MacOS Extended format, which is supported by Mac OS 8.1 and later

Launch the Disk Utility app on your Mac and highlight the hard drive icon under ' External' (for external hard drives). If you choose any other drive, the partition option will become unclickable. Now click Partition on the top toolbar. A window that has partition information will pop up. On the left side of the window, look for the name. The Best External Hard Drives and SSDs for Mac in 2021. Looking to add storage, or for a smart way to back up your Mac? Here's what you need to know, along with our top-rated Apple-friendly drives

Can't delete files from external hard drive

Then click View in the top-left corner of the window and select Show All Devices. Click the external hard drive you want to format. You can find this on the left-hand side of the screen under External Hard Drives. For the best result, select the disk (the highest option in the external tree). On the top menu, click Erase Double-click your external hard drive's name. You'll see it below the Devices and drives heading in the middle of the page. If you don't see anything below the Devices and drives heading, click once the heading to expand it. If you can't find your external hard drive here, try using a different USB slot for your hard drive Open File Explorer and navigate to This PC. Right-click the external hard drive and select Properties. From here, confirm that the external hard drive File System is listed as NTFS or FAT32. If the drive is listed as any other format, Carbonite cannot select it for backup. To resolve this, you can move the files from the drive to a. Same here. I'm trying to download google drive files directly to a portable hard drive instead of my computer (I don't have enough space on my computer). All of the advice online tells me to click download and then when prompted, click save to flash drive. But my google drive doesn't give me the option to save the file anywhere Why Is External Hard Drive Not Showing Up in File Explorer? When you open the File Explorer - the application of the Microsoft Windows operating system - you get the Quick access view that allows you to see the most commonly used folders and recent files. As you move to the This PC section on the left sidebar, you will see all disks connected to your computer

An external hard drive makes it really easy to back up your computer so it's a good idea to purchase one and learn the steps to back everything up. Hard drives can vary in cost and storage capacity but even though they are an added expense, they are more than worth it in the worst-case scenario of a broken or stolen MacBook Once installed (and you've restarted your Mac), your external drive should be back to normal. You can check by either trying to copy a file to it or right clicking on it in your Finder, selecting Get Info, and making sure the permissions have changed to read and write. If this isn't the case, you may need to keep searching for solutions I plug the external hard drive into my MacBook Pro 13 inch 2017 model and instantly I get a message from Mac os ( i guess the operating system ran a check as it may have run into issues Booting it up and probably decided to do a diagnostic on its own) as it's a 2017 model with Touch Bar, 10.15.2 Catalina as of 2020 now Let go of the mouse button and the file will copy automatically to the external drive. Double-click on the external drive's letter. The contents of the external drive will display in the window. (Click to expand the image.) The task is complete! This is known as a drag-and-drop action. Copy and Paste. Double-click to open the place where.

I added a new Lacie 3TB hard drive, and now after editing photo files in Photoshop the new file does not show in Lightroom. (Typically a new file with the Photoshop edits appears as a duplicate) This does not happen when using a file from my previous Lacie hard drive, and does not happen when the files are located on my iMac hard drive Now, from the left column select 1 TB WD My Passport (or whatever your hard drive name is), and click on the Erase tab. From here, in Format , select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) , give it a name.

In this case, an external hard drive is less expensive and beneficial for storage requirements. You can switch your external hard drive from a Mac to a pc which makes data transfer for two different OS easier. Furthermore, external hard disks are less likely to get corrupted and are portable in nature In order to be displayed in Library, you must have a file from the hard drive actively imported into the open Lightroom catalog. Import a file from the drive and it will show up. Now, if you have files on your hard drive already imported and they are not showing up, that is a different issue To transfer your photos library from an Apple Mac to an external drive, you first need to locate the photos or a folder you wish to move. You can right-click and copy, then paste in the new location. Dragging and dropping will also copy the images or folder. For the step-by-step process, look below This tutorial goes through the steps of partitioning an empty external hard drive using Disk Utility, which comes with every Mac. The steps here are using Mac OS X 10.6.7 and should be similar for.

Detailed Steps for setting up LaCie Hard Drive for Mac Backup. Aims. to use the LaCie drive for my Mac backup, automated by Mac's inbuilt Time Machine software. to have part of the LaCie drive to be compatible with Windows so I can exchange files between the two operating systems, should the need arise. Using the USB 3.0 cable (that comes in. If not, go to Disk Utility and check to see if it appears under the heading External. If the drive is showing here, but not on the OS X desktop, then click First Aid to try and repair the drive. If the drive has a file system not recognized by OS X, you'll need to erase it and the format it using FAT or HFS+ Close any applications on your computer that may be using your Dropbox files and folders. Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences. Click the Sync tab. Click the dropdown beside Dropbox location. Select Other Open the Applications list. Click the Applications dropdown, and select your hard drive. Open the Users folder Method 1 - Using the Dropbox app. Step 1 - Plug in your external hard drive to the computer and make sure that it detects it. Step 2 - Click on the Dropbox logo at the bottom-right edge of your PC taskbar. Step 3 - Click on the gear icon or settings button at the next window's top-right edge

Moving files from Mac-formatted external hard drive to PC

First, install the total commander app - it's a file browser that will help us to browse the content of our drive. Next, install USB plugin for Total Commander — it's an extension for the file browser that will do the actual job i.e. mounting the external Hard drive. Once done, connect your hard drive to your Android using OTG cable. Make sure that the drive was not formatted for a Mac as those use a different file format. If there is nothing on the drive that you want to save, you might try formatting the external drive and see what happens. As others have stated, try it on a different computer and try a different USB cable just in case. 0. Kudos

3 Ways To Move Files From Mac To External Hard Driv

Insert the CD/DVD or attach the flash drive you want to use for your backup. Open Quicken. Select the File > Backup or Restore > Backup Quicken File. Select Back up on my computer or hard drive (CD, hard drive, thumb drive), then if necessary click Change... to select where you would like to save your backup As formatting the hard drive will prepare your storage device for initial use. However, to format the Toshiba external hard drive follow the beneath steps: Step 1: At first, go to desktop & then open My Computer/This PC. Step 2: Then, make right-click on a hard drive & click on the Format option. Step 3: Next, set the file system: FAT32, FAT.

I Can't Edit External Hard Drives on Macs Your Busines

4.Checked the disk utility on the Mac pro notebook and the external drive is detected however it is not mounted. 5. as per customer input suspected could be some hard drive application that is causing, removed the seagate dashboard application however, still same. 6.Then checked for other unknown application related to hard drive I have a 1tb Seagate external hard drive that I have had for a little while and it used to work fine, but my laptop is now not recognizing it when I plug it in. It has a usb and it has its own plug for power. I have not used it in a little while and wanted to transfer some files over (pictures, movies etc) and now my laptop is not recognizing it Why Need To Transfer Files from iPod to External Hard Drive. Files transfer has become so popular but it is done with a reason. The following may be the possible reasons; • iPods have a lot of important files, some of them are official and we cannot afford to lose them. When this is the case, we should transfer the files to the external hard. It's important to note that copying files to iCloud Drive as described here is different from moving files to iCloud Drive, the latter of which is the default behavior, and what happens if you simply are dragging and dropping a file into the iCloud Drive folders - it will actually move that file or folder to iCloud from local storage. Rather than moving the files to iCloud, we're going.

Can't See Files in External Hard Drive on Mac, How to Fix

External hard drive/disk should be connected to a USB, Fire-wire to the Mac External hard drive/disk connected to the USB port of an Airport Extreme base station on the network. Whenever you connect an external drive to the USB port of Mac, you will see an alert asking if the drive to be used to take back up with the Time Machine With the Files window opened, in the left panel you should see your external drive listed directly below the Downloads folder. Just as you can in Windows Explorer on a PC or Finder on a Mac, you. I am getting the same problem now on mac OS Sierra, I am having seagate 1TB external power hard drive with 2 partitions with following file system. 1. OS X Journeled . 2 . FAT32 . Now suddenly only OSX Journled partiion is getting mounted and I could not see FAT3 It will not recognize my external hard drive plugged into any USB port. That is, the external drive does not appear in My Computer and or on the list of drop-down drives. The external hard drive does work on my Dell 4100 series computer (really ancient). The hard drive itself was made at about the same time as the 8300 series computer (ca. 2001)

How to transfer files from a Mac desktop to an external

Hi Rene, My MacBook Pro got stolen 2 years ago. I decided to try and go iOS only before getting a new Mac. It was great and suited me perfectly. Now I have an external hard drive with some back up data and miscellaneous data from the past 7/8 years and I can't access them from my iPad or iPhone. They're on relatively old hard drive that don't have wireless tech Hero. Next Hero Post ↓. @cosmoblivion Yes, you can install Sims 4 on the external hard drive just as you described. You may also be able to simply instruct Origin to move the game files to the external: right-click on the Sims 4 icon, select Move Game, and pick the folder you want to use. But this doesn't always work, so be prepared to fully.